distractions

Sunday, August 20, 2006

In Loving Memory

Today at work during my last break I thought I would check my phone to see if anyone had called me. I opened my phone and to my surprise I had 3 missed calls, each one from a different family member. Without even listening to my messages I immediately knew that something was wrong. I called my cousin and she broke the news to me that my grandfather had passed away earlier in the evening of a heart attack. I couldn't hold back the tears and I sat alone in the office and cried. After I got off the phone with my cousin I called my mom and told her that I was on my way home.

On the drive home the only thing I could think about was my last conversation with him. I will never forget his smile as I showed him the pictures of my sister and her new family. I wrote a blog about that conversation. It meant a lot to me. That conversation really made me realize how valuable my relationship is with my family.

When I got home I ran to my mom and we held each other and cried. My mom's dad was the last grandparent that I had, and now he is gone. My grandparents are back together again. Tomorrow is my grandma's birthday, She died five years ago. My mom smiled as she told me that she guessed my grandma didn't want to spend another birthday without my grandfather.

I can't even explain how much it hurts that he is gone.

Through the sadness, I can still find reasons to smile. When I got home everyone was there, it made me feel safe. My three year old nephew Jesse told my mom that he would share his grandpa with her so she didn't have to cry, it made me laugh.

I'll probably be in San Diego for the rest of the week to spend time with my family and to bury my grandfather. Until we meet again abuelito, I love you.

4 Comments:

At 12:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm sorry inez, it made me feel sad reading about your lost but knowing he'll be with his wife makes me feel happy for him. i hope you and your family will get through this to become an even stronger family!! chhean

 
At 12:41 AM, Blogger Pablo said...

I'm sorry to hear this Inez. If there's anything you need please you know where to reach me. Anything. My prayers will be with you and your family. Take care beautiful. Be strong. I know you are, I know you can be.

 
At 1:48 AM, Blogger Jeans Pants said...

Ah geez. I don't know what to say. We all love you and wish you well. Hey you know what? I'll leave you with this...

May the force be with you ....

There's something you'd only hear from me =0)

 
At 1:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

inez i just read this for the first time...i didn't work today so i didn't know...i am so sorry for your loss...my prayers are with you and your family..if there is anything your work family can do for you let us know.....we love you...god bless

 

Post a Comment

<< Home