distractions

Friday, October 20, 2006

Where to start

There are a million things going through my mind. I want to write about work. I want to write about how I am feeling. I don't even really know where to begin. I guess I can start with work. I'm happy with work. I love it. However, it is stressful. Yesterday was pretty stressful, my emotions were tested. I would be lying if I said that I do not form emotional attachments with the kids I work with. Working so closely with these kids it is almost impossible not to build a bond with them. I know that as a professional I need to have separation between myself and my client, but sometimes it can be difficult. Yesterday I was working on a task with a child, I knew it was difficult for them. I kept pushing them to do it because I see the potential in them to achieve so much. The child got frustrated and started to cry. If a demand is placed on a child and they begin to cry I have to continue to work. The child was wailing practically in front of my face but I knew I had to keep working in order to not reinforce crying as a means of escaping work. So we kept working and the child kept crying, this continued for 20 minutes. Honestly, I wanted to cry. I wanted them to get it right, they were so close. I couldn't look at the child because it was killing me to see them cry. The crying finally stopped. They got it right. I was elated to say the least, and emotionally drained.
It was probably one of my toughest sessions so far. I think going to work already carrying around a lot of heavy emotions does not make it easier for me to deal with the emotional strain that a session like that places on you.
In other regards, life is tough. I carry anger inside me. As much as I want it to, it doesn't go away. I, unfortunately, express almost every emotion with tears. I cried yesterday and today, it's been a rough few days. Which is why I needed to write.
I need to go for a really long swim tomorrow. Besides writing, swimming is another thing that I fully control that helps relieve stress.
Well, if I am to get up to swim before I go to work tomorrow(yes i have to work this saturday) I need to go to sleep now to be rested. Good night folks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home